1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching duck eggs advice!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lily811, May 22, 2016.

1. lily811

lily811 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    [​IMG]

I have already had 3 eggs hatch and this fourth one has been like this since at least yesterday at 2pm. To me the crack in the shell looks different then the other eggs when they hatched. It's made no progress for over 24hrs I can see he/she is still breathing and I see it's beak. Saturday was the 28th day of incubation so Sunday will be the 29th I'm concerned about him/her. Since this is the first time hatching duck eggs I'm not sure what to do, I need some advice!!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    It's not unfollow for there to be 24 hrs between the first pip and the unzip.

If nothing changes by 2pm today, gently peel back that membrane and see if you can tell if the duckling is in the correct position.

There's a thread on the forum about when and how to assist. I don't have the link handy, as I'm on a mobile, but that should give you some guidance when it comes to position and assistance.

3. lily811

lily811 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Thank you for the help I got him to hatch finally!

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Great! Did you have to assist?

5. lily811

lily811 New Egg

May 22, 2016
    Yep, the membrane started getting a rubbery feel and he was in there for 48hrs but it work out well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by