Hatching duck eggs....need help please!!!

CrookedCoopRanch

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2017
Hello. I'm brand new to this and have read just about every forum on here but still need help. Or just reassurance that everything is ok.

My two runner ducks layed eggs this spring and went broody so I let them incubate their eggs without bothering them much. However, on 3 separate days, I found a baby duck ripped out of its shell, yolk still large but looked fairly close to being developed. They live in a very large predator proof pen so I'm assuming the momma ducks freaked out and did this? So I bought an incubator and took the rest of the eggs just a couple days ago because it was too heartbreaking to lose a duckling everyday.

I am unsure of how far along they are, however, it would seem that we are getting up to day 30ish if I made my best guess. When the eggs were candled, I only found 2 normal eggs that had movement, an airsac and red veins. The eggs do not rock, I only see movement when I candle them. Both eggs have very large air sacs, at least 50% of the egg is air. The air sac is uneven, like swoops down and I can see the duckling in there but can't see a definite beak. After a few days, I candled the eggs again (today) and one egg started peeping but I still don't see any definite internal pip.

The eggs do not rock and roll. Is it possible for them to peep before an internal pip? I'm getting nervous that maybe there is an internal pip and that they may need help externally pipping?

Any advice would be appreciated. Has anybody experienced such a large air sac?

are you sure she was sat on them for 30 days?
thats a long time and does not sound right if there was still a lot of yolk left they can be layed 30days ago but it goes on how long they have been sat on them for.
maybe it just seems like that long ago:
the air sac will get smaller as they develop

I let the girls brood for a little over 3 weeks before I took the eggs away. They've been in the incubator for 5 days now. However, at first, the ducks wouldn't brood constantly so maybe that delayed development a bit?

If they are peeping, does that mean they've internally pipped or can they make noise before they internally pip? No signs of external pip yet.

Probably find they didn't sit properly on them if they are peeping can you her it without putting it to your ear if yes then I would say they have internally pipped
Just leave them to it
Keep me posted you can message me if u want:frow

Today one egg is silent and no movement but the other created an external pip! Yay! And he's peeping up a storm! So fingers crossed, I'm hoping at least one is going to make it.

One little guy hatched at 5:30 this morning!!! He's so full of life. We named him Mojave, like the desert. Thank you for your help. I tried to upload a photo, hopefully I can get it to work.

Here's the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_103210058.jpg
    IMG_20170629_103210058.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 7
do not put too much emphasis on the eggs rocking. some do and some don't
all of the eggs should hatch at about the same time. some might be a little later..
30 days is not overly long for duck eggs. some go to 33 days.
don't bother intervening .
your "helping" will do more damage than good.
you have to learn to leave the eggs to hatch on their own..
it takes a lot of experience to know when an egg needs help..
impatience is not the defining reason..
a little more patience and a little less candling ..
.......jiminwisc....

Back
Top Bottom