Hatching Duck eggs... What do i need to know??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GAChknGirl, Dec 13, 2009.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Our crested has been laying for weeks now!! and i want to hatch her eggs they are fertile i found the bulls eye!! we have 3 so far i am only planning on hatching 7 or so, or at least attempting! i need to know everything from temps to turning! Thanks so much!!

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hi, I've only hatched 2 duck eggs out of 4 once. But my incubater was litteraly nothing...just a simple bucket, pine needles for substrate.
    A heat pad below, and a jar with water inside to keep the humidity up. I turned the eggs 3-4 times a day. 2 out of the 4 ended up hatching. Which was surprising to me, considering how unstable the temp was. One of the hatchlings is all grown up now, and is a beloved pet. [​IMG] Good luck with yours!

3. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:well i have a Little Giant with turner, not the best out there but im hoping i will have a good turn out!

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Don't know if you've hatched chicken eggs or not before, but it's not that different. We hatched duck eggs first in a LG no turner. DS turned eggs twice a day. It takes 28 days to hatch duck eggs. The temp is the same as chicken eggs, but the humidity should be a bit higher. 1st hatch 16 of 16 eggs hatched. Good luck!

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have not had very good luck with the Little Giant. I bought a new incubator last year. There are some people on here that swear by them, so hopefully you will get some good advice. I know that some reliable way to monitor temperature and humidity is critical. The thermometer that comes with the incubator is not reliable. I would get it set up and everything regulated for a couple days before thinking about putting the eggs in there. Once again - find someone who has had success and listen to them.

Tia

6. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:we have had great success with chicken eggs we have a diffrent thermometer and hygrometer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by