1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockyToggRanch, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi..I have an opportunity to buy some mallard eggs. Probably fertile. I just emailed back to ask how old they are and how they've been kept. What are the limits? If they've been refrigerated will they still hatch? How old is too old?

2. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    any duck people out there?

3. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I guess I'll just risk it and buy them. [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I';m pretty sure that you can't hatch refrigerated eggs....

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If they have been refrigerated they will be alright. Probably 2 weeks in the fridge would be the limit and then there will be some decrease in hatchability. I hope your getting them cheap:)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends on how long they were refridgerated, and whether or not they were washed. It also depends on how cold the refridgerator was. I personally wouldn't buy them if they were refridgerated, unless they want almost nothing for them.

7. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    She tells me they are about 1 1/2weeks and they've been at about 54 degrees, upside down. She has 15 for $10.00. But I think early on she told me that she had 2 males and 1 female. I doubt 1 duck lays 15 eggs in 11 days. hhmmm....

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Storing them upside down is not a good idea from my understanding? You are supposed to just turn them side to side once a day. But they should be ok, if they weren't washed. And only $10 is not bad at all. These are eggs for p/u right? I would do it. Only $10, and your bound to get a couple out of them at least. Let us know what you decide.

9. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm going ahead with it. What the heck! I'll meet her today and get them.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Good luck!! And remember to keep us posted, and we want pics when the little fellas hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by