Hatching duck eggs

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
Hi..I have an opportunity to buy some mallard eggs. Probably fertile. I just emailed back to ask how old they are and how they've been kept. What are the limits? If they've been refrigerated will they still hatch? How old is too old?

I guess I'll just risk it and buy them.
sad.png

If they have been refrigerated they will be alright. Probably 2 weeks in the fridge would be the limit and then there will be some decrease in hatchability. I hope your getting them cheap:)

Last edited:
It depends on how long they were refridgerated, and whether or not they were washed. It also depends on how cold the refridgerator was. I personally wouldn't buy them if they were refridgerated, unless they want almost nothing for them.

She tells me they are about 1 1/2weeks and they've been at about 54 degrees, upside down. She has 15 for $10.00. But I think early on she told me that she had 2 males and 1 female. I doubt 1 duck lays 15 eggs in 11 days. hhmmm....

Storing them upside down is not a good idea from my understanding? You are supposed to just turn them side to side once a day. But they should be ok, if they weren't washed. And only $10 is not bad at all. These are eggs for p/u right? I would do it. Only $10, and your bound to get a couple out of them at least. Let us know what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom