Hatching duck eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlebanty, Mar 5, 2008.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 muscovy drakes and 1 pekin duck. They mate all the time many times a day. The pekin lays an egg everyday and I have been wanting to get an incubator to see if they hatch. I also have a standard cochin hen that went broody every time she had the chance last year on chicken eggs and was hoping she would go broody for me to hatch these duck eggs this year. I have had no luck so far. Should I just give her more time and hopes she does or is there a chance she will not? Should I just save the time and frustration and buy an incubator? I dont want something too expensive....maybe about $100 or so. Whats a good one to buy with a turner incase I decide to go that route? Im hoping in the mean time my cochin will just do the job for me and save me the money. Any sugggestions with her?

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have some duck eggs in my bator on day 13 - and they are growing like crazy in there - I candled them last night and they are wiggling all over the place LOL - the bator I have was only 50.00 at the tractor supply store it is the Little Giant - this is my first time hatching anything but so far I am not having to many problems I did have a temp spike once, but since than it has been fine.

my duck eggs are a mix of a cayaga (sp) female and either my male pekin or the mallard/crested mix - so there is no telling what they would like.

I would go ahead and get the bator LOL I dont have a turner for mine - but it is another 50.00 at the TSC.

good luck

Julie

3. littlebanty

Hi Julie! Thanks.....I do have an incubator in mind....But its more then the one at TSC. So far I have 5 eggs that I have kept in the nest outside....Im gonna bring them in and when I get 10-12 I will put them in an incubator. I dont think my cochin hen will set anytime soon!

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well good luck with your hatch, so far so good here - going into day 14 I am very hopefully these babies are going to hatch.

I cant wait to set some chicken eggs ( they dont as long to hatch LOL ) this waiting is driving me crazy.

so I am here [​IMG] LOL

Julie

5. littlebanty

Thanks.....I hope I get some to hatch. I should be getting the incubator I want tomorrow or Tuesday when they get one in at the local store. Im getting the Havo-Bator Genesis 1588. I cant wait![​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

A muscovy duck is like a mule and will not produce viable eggs if it's bred with any other breed of duck....

7. littlebanty

Quote:My Muscovy drakes have bred my pekin duck and I have babies in my eggs now. They are due in 2 weeks. I have seen pictures online of a Muscovy pekin cross! A muscovy crossed with any other breed will produce. But they will only produce mules or hinnies depending on what breed the drake and duck is. For example a muscovy drake bred to another breed with produce a mule. A muscovy duck bred to another breed will produce a hinny.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:My Muscovy drakes have bred my pekin duck and I have babies in my eggs now. They are due in 2 weeks. I have seen pictures online of a Muscovy pekin cross! A muscovy crossed with any other breed will produce. But they will only produce mules or hinnies depending on what breed the drake and duck is. For example a muscovy drake bred to another breed with produce a mule. A muscovy duck bred to another breed will produce a hinny.

OOps--that's what I meant. I'm on drugs, sorry! (Broken ribs). I misunderstood the question. Yes, you're correct!

9. littlebanty

OOps--that's what I meant. I'm on drugs, sorry! (Broken ribs). I misunderstood the question. Yes, you're correct!

LOL! Thats ok....I do it also! And then sometimes I confuse myself.

10. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

if your looking for a bator and like to do projects there are some really nice bators on this websire that you can build! they are eseay and inexpensive heres a link to missprissys chick bator! she also made a bread box bator too!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510

hope that worked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by