Hatching Duck Egvs

DelbiondoDuck

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2017
I have a duck that just hatched 3 hours ago. It has a red open hole on its belly and it is bleeding and blood was in its shell. The duck seems alright but I can't t figure out what this hole is. I think it may die.

That's its umibilicus, looks like it wasn't totally closed at the time of hatch. Just leave it in the incubator, maybe put it in a small bowl lined with paper towels so it can't drag its belly all over and possibly open it up further. Give it some time and that should close right up.

Thanks. My son is 11 and this is his 2nd time hatching ducks. He loves his ducks! 3 have hatched but 4 more eggs havent even piped. How long should I wait for those unpiped eggs?

Help! What is goingon with this duck? It is still attached to the inside of egg and has a bulge

Help! What is goingon with this duck? It is still attached to the inside of egg and has a bulge

It looks like you pulled that one out? Doesn't look like it hatched on its own from the egg. It wasn't ready to hatch, it hasn't finished absorbing everything and you need to put it back in the shell, put the egg upwards in a cup lined with paper towels, and put it back in the incubator and leave it alone until it's done absorbing. Do not pull it away from the shell, it will detach when it is done and ready to come out.

Yes this is only our second time hatching eggs. It was day 30 and all the other eggs hatched. We thought it might need help. I feel so bad now! I will do what you said. Thanks

Yes this is only our second time hatching eggs. It was day 30 and all the other eggs hatched. We thought it might need help. I feel so bad now! I will do what you said. Thanks

Hopefully it recovers okay :fl

Just for troubleshooting purposes, what kind of incubator are you using and what have the temps been like?

It's a Styrofoam one from tractor supply. My son had the temp at 99.5 and 45% humidity until it was time to take them off the egg Turner. Then be put the temp at 99 and humidity at 65. The thing is we had 8 eggs and only 2 hatched out ok. The others were under developed and died once we took the egg Turner out

It's a Styrofoam one from tractor supply. My son had the temp at 99.5 and 45% humidity until it was time to take them off the egg Turner. Then be put the temp at 99 and humidity at 65. The thing is we had 8 eggs and only 2 hatched out ok. The others were under developed and died once we took the egg Turner out

Little Giant still air? Those are notoriously unreliable, unfortunately. Plus, your temperature has been 2 degrees low the entire time, which is causing your late hatch and possibly your other issues. In a still air, the temp needs to be 101.5 degrees taken at the top of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom