Hatching Duckling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by darlene1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. darlene1

darlene1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Please help this is the first time I've tried to hatch my peking ducks eggs. out of 5 eggs only one made a whole the others didn't but they moved and are no longer moving. Well the one that made the whole is sticking its beak out and peeping. I pulled away some of the shell but not the membrane to try and help,and when i saw the duckling opening its beak while sticking it out of the egg, i pulled away alittle more of the shell and a part of the membrane broke but didn't bleed. I'm scared and want the lil fella to live what should I do? Continue to pull away the shell or just leave it alone? Please reply

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

If there is no more blood in the membrane the duckling is probably ready to come out. What you can do now is carefully "zip" open the shell with a pair of tweezers, so it can kick out when it's ready. But take it easy, no rush! Hatching is a slow process. Look at this article here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

for pics of what you should see. It also explains the hatching process and how to assist in more detail. Good luck and post a pic of the little one when she's ready [​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    which thread are we using here sumi? lol

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I dunno. I replied to them both [​IMG] Now we wait and see which one gets the update...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by