Hatching ducklings this time of year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I have four very broody Silkie hens and am toying with the idea of letting them hatch a few call duck eggs... but I'm not sure if it is a bad time of year to do this? Temps are in the 30s-40s here. The Silkies nest is in the coop and they have food and water within reach and never leave it.

Note: once the ducklings hatch they would come inside immediately and be handraised by me.

2. MummyToTwins

MummyToTwins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Marblehead MA
    I know this is a silly question but how can you tell if the hens are broody? Do ducks also get broody?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If their coming inside to be brooded I think it should be fine.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:Yes ducks will also go broody. They usually make a hidden nest and compile a few eggs in there. Then they are their sitting almost all the time.

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I hatched 4 last November and put them outside for good on Valentine's Day. It was a poop-encrusted feathery dusty nightmare.

6. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks, I'm excited to hear this.

You can tell hens are broody when they won't leave the coop and peck at you when you "steal" their (infertile) eggs. LOL One of my hens also makes a kind of warcry and puffs herself up like a balloon (I guess trying to scare me off?). She isn't terribly intimidating, at least not to me. LOL Basically they become like paperweights in the coop, they hardly move.

I have Silkies, a breed known for its broodiness.

I know of the mess associated with raising ducks indoors. I will be going into this knowing full well that I'll be washing and folding towels every day. Worth it to get guckies. <3 I am sick of waiting for the hatcheries to open.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    in that case - have a fantastic time and be generous with the photos... it's a long winter and fuzzy duckling pics warm it up [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't think it is a bad time to hatch a clutch of ducklings. If you can find fertile duck eggs. It's still a week or so before duck breeding seasons starts, so fertile duck eggs are going to be a bit hard to come by.

Once the ducklings are fully feathered, they can easily take 30-40 degree weather. The mom-chick ( those are silkie chickens and not silkie ducks?) who hatches them out is going to keep them warm and care for them. Ducklings can survive more weather than chicks.

If you hatch now, your ducks will be old enough to lay in the late spring. If you get a breed of ducks that is an egg layer.

9. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Quote:Did you mean to say "guckies"? I call them "yucklings" [​IMG]

I haven't tried the towel method. I just constantly toss layers of pine shavings in the brooder. They still get wet and gross, but it keeps the smell down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by