Hatching Ducklings

HenryDuckMan

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I've had ducks for almost 2 years now and recently acquired a Cayuga X Runner drake (called Drake). He's been mating for the last month with my Cambell and Pekin so I am expecting some fertile eggs. Both females have started laying last week. My questions are:

When I candle an egg on the 1st day should I be able to see anything?
If I notice something in the eggs after a few days is it too late to put it back?? (I don't refrigerate the eggs)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

With duck eggs I generally can notice development after that have been incubated/set on for at least 5 days. Not all ducks go broody. Did your hens set last spring ? If not they may not go broody, and you may need an incubator if you want ducklings.

With duck eggs I generally can notice development after that have been incubated/set on for at least 5 days. Not all ducks go broody. Did your hens set last spring ? If not they may not go broody, and you may need an incubator if you want ducklings.
Thank you for your kind reply! My hens did not set last spring (I also didn't have my drake last spring).

I normally bring the eggs inside, if I see any changes in the eggs after a few days should I put them back in the nesting box?

When will I know if my ducks are/going to be broody?

Thanks

Thank you for your kind reply! My hens did not set last spring (I also didn't have my drake last spring).

I normally bring the eggs inside, if I see any changes in the eggs after a few days should I put them back in the nesting box?

When will I know if my ducks are/going to be broody?

Thanks
Usually the presence of a drake doesn't have much effect on if a duck will go broody or not, so if they didn't go broody before they might not go broody at all.

Just setting on the counter or a storage area, the eggs will not start developing. Presence or absence of a drake does not cause hens to go brood. If your hens are becoming broody they will start pulling feathers and creating a down filled nest - try marking and leaving a couple of the oldest eggs in the nest. If they go broody, discard these eggs and return the eggs you want incubated.

Just setting on the counter or a storage area, the eggs will not start developing. Presence or absence of a drake does not cause hens to go brood. If your hens are becoming broody they will start pulling feathers and creating a down filled nest - try marking and leaving a couple of the oldest eggs in the nest. If they go broody, discard these eggs and return the eggs you want incubated.
Thank you, is there a certain amount of fertile eggs? For example will she only lay 8 fertile eggs and that's it? Or will all of her eggs be fertile until she goes broody?

Back
Top Bottom