Hatching ducklings

stephen k

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 21, 2013
Ireland
Hello I'm new to byc an me an my girlfriend have 13hens 2 roosters and 4 ducks and we decided to try our hand at incubating!my ducklings will be in there 2 weeks 2moro.we candled them last night and we could see what looked like a heart beating through the shell!we were amazed!this must be what parents are like watching a scan
1f603.png

Exciting! I hope you have some happy, fluffy ducklings soon! The wait is hard, but worth it! Keep us posted!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

They will be in the incubator 3 weeks on Friday!is there anything else I should know or expect?i turn them regularly and apply water for humidity when needed?

Have you seen the two threads on hatching in the Stickies at the top of the Duck Forum?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

I have read that there comes a time called lockdown when you must not open the incubator or the humidity will drop, the ducklings will get shrink-wrapped and probably die. I don't mean to scare you, but that seems like a critical bit of information I keep seeing here.

Last edited:

This is my 2 ducks that hatched!there called Bo an Luke.lik Bo an Luke duke from the dukes of hazard only duck
1f603.png

Wowie! How are they doing? Do you have a thermometer in there? 90F the first week, dropping 5 degrees a week, always room to move away from the heat to a cooler spot.

Yes, I am a worrywort.

Congratulations!!!
big_smile.png

Soo cute..what breed of duck are they..and after how many days did they hatch? :) They look a little like Khaki Campbells from the pic :)

I had 6 eggs at the start but 2 of them had nothing in them!3 hatched yesterday and the last 1 was today!there khaki Campbell's!me an my gf are very proud :)

Back
Top Bottom