Hatching ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Emchick160, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Emchick160

Emchick160 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    Hi there,
    First time hatcher of anything here, which will become quite apparent as you continue to read!
    Husband and I bought 2 doz fertile chicken eggs from a breeder, and after hearing that hubby was a chef, she gave him several duck and quail eggs to eat.
    When we got home and set up the incubator, we also put in a couple of quail and duck eggs at the same time. We are on day 7 today and I have just candled a few eggs, and as the duck eggs are white I wanted to use them to compare to see what I should be seeing in a non fertile egg, only to see veins inside the duck egg!!!
    After a quick look on google, I see that the chickens should be ready to hatch about a week earlier than the ducks will be ready, so my question is... What do I do?? I don't want to harm the quails, chicks or ducklings but with 3 different hatch rates and one incubator I'm unsure how to proceed, any info would be a huge help to this novice, lesson learned!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you buy another incubator? One can get a Janoel48 on ebay for about $108. If you could do that, you could transfer the chicken eggs on day 19.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How long do quail take?

-Kathy

4. Emchick160

Emchick160 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks Kathy, I told a friend about my dilemma and she suggested I just borrow an incubator... DUH!! Why didnt I think of that haha!! Quails take about 18 days I think, but im not worried about them as I candles them and they look clear to me :)

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Perfect!

-Kathy

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    You could halways bye a hatching incubator , one without a turner so you just place the eggs that are done turning into the hatcher for them to hatch with harming the other eggs .

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's sort of what I suggested in post #2. The Janoel 48 is a great hatcher for $108.

-Kathy

8. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Or you can get a hove incubator for 99.00 dollars from their website or efowl.com it works great as well .

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The Janoel 48 is all digital, easy to clean plastic, has a fan, and turner! I have one and use it for hatching, but have also used it for incubation. Either way, I think it's a better bang for the buck.

-Kathy

10. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Same for the hova , and the hova comes with automatic quail, duck, and chicken turn trays I you choose to get them, built in fan and all that jazz I love mine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by