Hatching early AGAIN this week!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Hi!
    My eggs under broody hens are hatching early again this week --- and they are not eggs from my birds this time.
    I set Cochin eggs from Asher (Cindy) on the 15th and Ameraucana eggs from Geareduplyn (Gary) on the 16th. I had 2 chicks from both groups hatched first thing this morning (which makes them Day 19 and Day 20 hatchlings).
    Not complaining [​IMG] It's just curious.
    Pics coming soon.
    Lisa

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    waiting for those pics [​IMG]

Krista

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I wanna see pics too Lisa.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Would your heat be a little higher then 99.5 degrees?
    Normally that would give you an earlier hatch. Hope they all hatch out...Good luck![​IMG]

5. Hi!
    Here is the first Day 19 chick from Gary's blue / splash Ameraucana eggs:

[​IMG]

It was dry and popping around first thing this morning so it probably actually hatched on Day 18.

The other 3 chick pics are loading now.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Oooh, too cute. So is it a light blue or a splash? I know sometimes pics change the color so slightly, and I still haven't found my splash either [​IMG] so I don't even know what they look like as chickies.
    I was gonna go watch tv, now I gotta wait for the other pics [​IMG]

Krista

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awwhhhh just can't resist seeing chicks esp chicks with their mamas (i know it's not its REAL mama but ya know what i mean) what a gorgeous lil chick and mama! [​IMG]

8. Hi Krista, I'm pretty sure it's a blue. Not as a matter of fact, but my splash chicks are all-over white/silver-y. The blues / blacks are darker with lighter markings.
    Boy, that hen was maaad! As soon as I unscrewed the door, that chick came popping out, ready to greet the world. Hen kept trying to scootch it back under her and the chick was having no part of that [​IMG]
    When I get the pics loaded, you'll see the same down color on the blue Cochin chicks from Cindy's birds.

Hi Rainbow! These eggs were hen-incubated from start to finish. You are correct that just a degree or 2 high incubator temps can cause early hatchings (and usually problem chicks), but these aren't artificially incubated eggs
    I'm getting healthy early hatchlings from shipped eggs and my eggs under broody hens.
    I don't understand it myself.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:HEy Lisa, maybe they are developing a little before you set them? Just because of the hot temps.

10. Here are the early hatchers.
    The 2 on the left are from Geareduplyn's (Gary) blue/ splash Ameraucana eggs. The 2 on the right are from Cindy's Cochin eggs.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by