hatching egg help ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlforever18, Jun 19, 2011.

1. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    ok so my eggs are due to hatch in 2-3 days and i was told to stop turning them at 3 days i have an automatic egg turner and i have eggs due in about a nother week after these ones in the same incubator i don't know if i should turn the egg turner off or leave it on?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    This is what someone on here told me

E-mail PM
    View My BYC Page
    Re: Hatching questions---PLZ help
    Four days apart isn't that much. Turning the eggs is most important early on in the incubation process, and not so important nearer the end. I think you could compromise a bit here. If I were you, I would stop turning the first lot of eggs on day 18, but wait until day 19 to raise the humidity and go into lockdown properly. That means that the second lot of eggs will be getting turned up until their day 15, which is probably good enough. And after you go into lockdown, just keep your humidity high until the second lot (hopefully) are done hatching.

I've done quite a few staggered hatches all in the one bator and they'rve worked out okay. I do get a decreasing hatch rate with the second and third batches of chicks, probably due to unsuitable humidity and bacteria in the bator after the first and then second batch has hatched, but that's with eggs due 14+ days apart. Just four days between them shouldn't make much difference. Good luck!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    It is pretty close so maybe wait one more day to stop turning and then take them all out and raise the humidity. That's what I have done and have gotten 100% hatch rates from my eggs [​IMG] Good luck!

4. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:dont know what kind of turner you have but mine you can remove individual racks. so take the eggs that are due to hatch and pull the racks for those so you can set them on the floor of the bator and they can hatch. leave the other eggs that are due in a week in their racks to keep turning. that only works if you can remove individual racks though. mine is a yellow plastic one with little cotter keys on the ends. pull out the keys and remove the racks one by one.

5. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:dont know what kind of turner you have but mine you can remove individual racks. so take the eggs that are due to hatch and pull the racks for those so you can set them on the floor of the bator and they can hatch. leave the other eggs that are due in a week in their racks to keep turning. that only works if you can remove individual racks though. mine is a yellow plastic one with little cotter keys on the ends. pull out the keys and remove the racks one by one.

i dont know if i can take it apart with out removing screws its for a lil giant, would it be ok to have the bator open for 15 min or so?

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Dont worry with it. The others are due a week later it wont hurt them to not turn a day or so. I would wait until you see a pip or the last day before hatch and stop the turner until your eggs hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by