Hatching Egg leaking out clear liquid...

The Chick Addict

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
Hey Y'all! My Buff Orpington and Silkie are hatching out 5 eggs. The largest one is a Buff Orp egg and it is Day 21 for all of them. This egg started having clear liquid that dries and is sticky. I've checked the eggs, no cracks and the chick hasn't started hatching. I've candled it and the baby is already quite large and is still growing. For the first week I had left them outside with the mama's but the other hens liked to kick them off and a few other traumas (rat stole one egg, kicking off the nest, other hens accidentally kicking one egg off the nest and cracking) this egg had been accidentally kicked off the nest at one point for maybe 1 or two hours but by then it was already pretty developed. It lived for sure because its obviously grown up to this point! I brought all of them inside to hatch in a quiet, dark, hutch where they will not be disturbed. There were originally 8 eggs but I stated some of the traumas above. So where is the liquid coming from?! Its not rotten for sure and it hasn't started pipping yet. I gently wiped a bit of it off and some dirt too, with a damp paper towel. The egg is polished and shiny from the hens laying on it. I figure some of the eggs might hatch later than usual because of the problems we had. All the eggs seem to be developing and developed. At least 3 will hatch soon and the other 2 are still growing but not as large as the chicks in the other eggs yet. Thanks!

sure it dont smell bad? lol .. cant say, never had a leaker before, but i have seen rotten ones that will ooz a substance out of the pores of the shell ...

sure it dont smell bad? lol .. cant say, never had a leaker before, but i have seen rotten ones that will ooz a substance out of the pores of the shell ...
Yeah I smelled it several times, smells normal... the chick looks developed enough to hatch today and it hasn't started pipping yet. Thanks for replying!

I finally got some pics. the circles show the leaks and you can visibly see the leaking.
Marked Egg-Bella.jpg
Marked Egg 2-Bella.jpg
Leaking Egg 1-Bella.jpg
Leaking Egg 2-Bella.jpg
Leaking Egg 3-Bella.jpg

I hope I'm wrong because the cleanup is only for those people with strong stomachs but my ONE rotten egg looked completely developed except for the droplets forming on the surface. Turns out it had died @10 days and the opacity was a rotting chick.

Best luck!

I hope I'm wrong because the cleanup is only for those people with strong stomachs but my ONE rotten egg looked completely developed except for the droplets forming on the surface. Turns out it had died @10 days and the opacity was a rotting chick.

Best luck!
Interesting. Mine all either rot or dis if they don't hatch. Never had one that was both. I've never had to worry about a rotten smell coming from aby I open after hatching is finished

Back
Top Bottom