Hatching Egg Myths - Tell me yours

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Evan W, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Evan W

Evan W Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    SW Virginia
    Let me start this off saying that this is my first time incubating eggs.

After lots of research the one thing I read the most was that you could only store eggs for a week. I only have 4 hens how am I going to fill the incubator?

I was able to find some good information out there about hatching eggs 3 weeks or older, sometimes stored in the fridge!

So this is a myth busting thread about storing eggs for hatching!

I collected 37 eggs over a three and half weeks. Stored them in plastic cartons to retain moisture and tilted them regularly once a day.

Today is day 7 and all i see is veins and embryos! Even my three week old eggs are growing strong.

So what's your tried and true myth busting fact?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a kid I had a round, metal Sears incubator. I would fill it with eggs and fire it up. I consistently saved eggs for the 21 days that the incubator was running, hatched a batch, disinfected and reset the incubator. Never needed to hold eggs longer than 22 or 23 days, but like you had great development and hatch %. A lot depends upon the conditions under which the eggs are maintained prior to incubation. I confirm your findings.

3. EggGrl

EggGrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newport, VA
    Well, that is good to know! I'm counting hens, and realizing that I won't have a full incubator in 7 days.

4. Evan W

Oct 15, 2016
    SW Virginia
    Lock down!!!!!

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Would this storage of eggs work with Duck eggs also?.......Interesting news.....I have 12 waiting to go into my incubator next week...The oldest egg is a week old.....

Cheers!

6. Evan W

Oct 15, 2016
    SW Virginia
    Not sure about duck eggs. I think turning them before incubation is done for the same reason you turn during incubation. Also one thing I didn't mention before was that the eggs were kept at about 40-60 degrees in my basement. Here is some good info on hatching duck eggs

http://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm?CustID=9204907

7. chickens really

Mine are kept in our back room that is really cool...Brrr......

Thanks for that link........

Cheers!

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had good hatches from duck eggs that I stored in paper egg cartons (I thought breathable material would help) and, like @Evan W , tilted - I did it at least twice a day, and stored them in a cool basement room. The oldest eggs were probably 3 weeks old, and some may have been approaching a month old...though I generally wouldn't recommend trying to hatch ones that old because I do think the quality may deteriorate. I typically don't store the eggs for more than 2 weeks before hatching, but sometimes you just don't have enough to fill the incubator.

9. chickens really

10. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Beware the hatching addiction! (I know of what I speak) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by