Hatching Egg Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brodysam, May 10, 2009.

1. brodysam

brodysam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    I'm new at hatching eggs and I was wondering, can I take the eggs that my cornish cross is laying and put them in the incubator? I just ordered some eggs to hatch and I would like to put some of hers in to see if they'll hatch. How do I know if they're fertile? She's with my rooster constantly. She's been laying once a day.

2. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    If she is with a Rooster its a real good chance that they are fertile and able to hatch.. Worth a try:)

3. brodysam

May 7, 2009
    Thanks. I thought so too but I wasn't sure how to tell if the egg was fertile, aside from making sure the rooster is with her. I left the egg with her for the time being. I wanted to see if she'd lay another with it. If she does, is it likely she'll go broody? I have to remove the eggs as they are about to be moved to a mobile chicken coop. After that, I wanted to try letting her sit with some.

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    You can try cracking one open, and looking for a tiny white dot with a white ring around it on the yoke, I'm not sure how small Cornish eggs are, if they are tiny it may be hard to see the Bulls eye, but may be worth a try.

5. brodysam

May 7, 2009
    Ok, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by