Hatching egg won't be still

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tsbonin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. tsbonin

tsbonin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    Help! First batch of eggs I've hatched. Started the 3 day don't turn today and one has already pipped and one is rocking all over the place. Also having hard time raising humidity. Have plenty water plus humidifier going. Temp is alright. Just don't know how else to raise humidity level (at around 48-50%). Mostly worried about this rocking chick. It's going to wear out before pipping at this rate. Any ideas or is this normal?

2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:Do you have any new sponges it so soak those w hot water and place in bator If u do not have sponges

Wet paper toels will also work!! Hope this helps let me know!!!

3. tsbonin

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    Thanks for the humidity advice. I will try that now. Just checked eggs and the one is still just rocking back and forth without pipping. The one that pipped already has made a larger hole. This new chicken momma stuff is for the birds. After everything I've studied I still know little to nothing now that the moment has arrived. lol.

4. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    LOL I am the same way pretty much I have one pipping that started about 1:30 under a broody! i would leave the one rocking one alone I am sure he is just trying to figure out where to start! LOL I dont know at what point I would help though maybe sumone else does!

5. tsbonin

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    [​IMG]-I can't believe I already have a baby chick! This little one hatched quick and seems strong. Humidity went up then fell again. I give. I don't dare open the box again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

6. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Well you are doin better than me my baby still working LOL and peeping away! If one already hatched and didnt have any trouble I believe I would let well enough alone ! like you said the only humidity mine are getting is off my broody and I dont think that is much! just enough to keep them from drying out ! LOL I can see enough to tell this baby is black with black on its beak!! Good LUCK!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And congrats on 1st baby!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I got my 1st baby about 9estrn it is a br x Brown leghorn and it is a pullet!! I can hear the next one cheeping in there!!

8. tsbonin

Jun 26, 2010
    Vivian
    [​IMG] 6 out of 10 have hatched now! Yeah! Finally getting somewhere.

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Great job! The hardest advice I had to follow was to leave them alone! I still get the urge to help...sometimes I do. [​IMG] As long as there IS humidity, they should be okay. I have a hydrometer in mine, and like to keep it around 40 - 50 %. You will figure out what works best for you. And of course the more you do this, the easier it gets. Post pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by