Hatching eggs 5 days late

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. clan

clan New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Hi , please can some one help, i have a hen sitting on some eggs 2 have hatched on day 23 and 24 but there are 2 eggs that have still not hached. Should i leave them with her or do you think they have not survived. How long should i leave them with her. Please can some one advise.Thank you.

2. MyLittleRedCoop

MyLittleRedCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    I had a couple eggs in my hatch that were viable on Day 18 when I checked them before lock-down, but didn't hatch when the others did. It's hard to wait and wonder.
    I left them in for a couple days to give them a chance, but only for 2 days after the others that hatched, as I didn't want any eggs-plosions that could harm the new chicks. When I went out to the coop, resolved to take them from the nest, mama had already rolled them out and away.
    I would assume that 2 days after everyone else hatched they probably didn't make it. :(
    I'm sorry.
    You could tap a hole in the top, where the air sack is, to see if anyone is moving, but I would proceed with caution, as the eggs can explode, as bacteria begins to grow. I'd put it in a zip-lock Baggie first.
    Its hard to lose chicks just before hatch. :( I'm sorry for your loss.

3. clan

clan New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    thank you for that, i did what you said and they were both rotton, mind you they did stink. but mum is happy with the two little chicks she has so thats the main thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by