1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching eggs after refrigeration, good idea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by purosaviparos, May 18, 2011.

1. purosaviparos

purosaviparos Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Hello, i'm new to the forum but have about 6-8 months now raising chickens and turkeys. My question is; "Is it recommended or a good idea to store eggs in the fridge and then later hatch them?" Or can this be bad for the eggs? First I must say i have done this and have had sucess. I have an enclosed area where I am breeding chickens and Turkeys (as well as rabbits and "Coquenas" (spanish word, not sure what they are called in English, beautiful animal, will post pic) seems to be peaceful living for all, open to hearing suggestions or hazards on doing this) but since there is so much going on, and it was my first turkey hatch, i did not want anything to happen to the Turkey eggs, with the advice from a friend I put all eggs in fridge (except one, to keep the female turkey knowing where to put the eggs) and after she had stopped putting (put 14 in total) i returned the eggs to her and all but a couple hatched. I have found myself thinking this is a good tactic, mainly because i am doing this project in Mexico and it is really hot where i am living. I think if they sat out they might go bad or at least would have had offset hatching dates (not too mention among various other dangers that could occur). All hatched the same day some the next but no later. What is the general consenus here? A friend of mine here says that he has done this up to 3 or 4 months (keeping them in the fridge) and he has always had success. Would like to maintain this practice with other types of eggs; chicken, pheasant, peacock. Pros? Cons? Also how often does the female turkey lay eggs? Thanks for the input, will be posting several topics in the near future.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I have heard of people storing eggs in the fridge until incubations and have heard that it has gone well. I've also known a few people who bought some of the O Organics brown eggs from the grocery store and have had those hatch out. Me personally, I just store them in a clean egg carton and turn a few times a day. We heat our home with a wood stove, so sometimes it can get chilly at night, and it will be warm the rest of the day so I can do that because its never to hot. It might be working really well for you since your in Mexico. I have not yet hatched Peafowl, but i a getting my first eggs to put in the bator tomorrow from a friend. I have only done chickens, quail, guinea's.

3. purosaviparos

purosaviparos Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the input. Just to clarify did you happen to say that Peafowl = Coquena? I am still trying to find out what is the name for this animal.[​IMG]

4. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:I would have no idea what Coquena's are , sorry [​IMG] They might be peafowl, just another word for it but i have not heard of it. Don't know much about Mexican ( i hope thats what the name is) bird breeds or names. I tried searching on google what they were and couldn't find anything. If I do, i'll let you know [​IMG]

5. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:That would be a Guinea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by