hatching eggs and having trouble

Discussion in 'Quail' started by skayrutledge, Sep 27, 2011.

1. skayrutledge

skayrutledge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    ~ Backgownd:
    I have 3 female bobwhites and one boy, over the last 3 (maybe 4) weeks they have layed about 20 eggs. I have had the eggs in a home made incubator for about 2 1/2 weeks (depending on when they were layed it may be less or more). I trun them every day 3 times a day, they are at about 100' give or take 4 or 5 depeding. it even has a good amount of humidity.

~What troubles me:
    I just started candling them and i dont see any thing, now it may be the "candler" (also home made) but i can see stuff in a chicken egg better than i can in this.

~My questions:
    Could it be they are not firtile? If so how can i fix this (make the man do his job [​IMG] )
    Could it be it has not been the right amount of time yet?

I just need some help, Thanks i hope to get some good replies [​IMG]

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    well, if you don't see anything you mean its dark or just you can see the whole way thru.

either way, you're this far in, i'd let them go the whole way and check eggs after. As far as fertility, he will do his job, but bobs are kinda coming out of their "season" so he might not care as much [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If They're Clear Or Glow... They're Duds.

Bobs Are True Seasonal Breeders, Dependant On Daylight Hours And Temperature. 14+ Hours Of Continuous Full Spectrum Lighting And Decent Ambient Temps Are Required For Sucessful Mating. If Thats All There I'd Change The Ratio. 1 To 3 Isnt Bad, But These Guys Arent The Lil Hunka Hunka Burnin Love A Coturnix Roo Is If You Get My Meaning?

Lastly Not All Bobs Can Be Tricked Into Laying... Seems Some Are Light Conisuers? Even With Stimulated Laying Your Fertility Will Be Lacking

4. skayrutledge

skayrutledge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    change the ratio to what? i had a 2 other boys but they got beat up. first it they only got beat up by the boy but then it was by all the birds so they had to go.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Many breeders keep them 1-1.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Many breeders keep them 1-1.

YEP THATS THE RATIO THAT ALMOST ALWAYS WORKS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by