1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching eggs and my cockerel?!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by az85, Mar 31, 2016.

1. az85

az85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi all my two pekin bantams are both sitting on fertile eggs and due to hatch in about 3 days, however they are cooped with the cockerel and were not sure whether to remove him incase hes aggressive towards the chicks. both hens and cockerel are only a year old and he is very protective of them and i dont know whether this will reflect on how he treat the chicks. do you think its safer to remove him and leave both hens to tend to there eggs/chicks until theyre old enough to be moved?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You are dealing with living animals so no one can give you absolute guarantees, but a good rooster protects every flock member. If a rooster sees the chicks when they are young he assumes they are his and is likely to help Mama take care of them. I have never had a mature rooster threaten a chick. I have seen some of my roosters help take care of chicks, before and after Mama weans them.

I’m always glad to have a rooster in my flock when a hen hatches.

3. az85

az85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    I completely understand what you're saying, he seems protective of the eggs at present and always sneaks up on my when I check the nest. I will see how he goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by