Hatching eggs arrived- Broken! Wash off surviving eggs or no?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by desertskynm, Oct 9, 2010.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I just got my hatching eggs but many are broken and the egg mess in on the surviving eggs. Wash them off or not before putting them in the incubator?

What does this do to the hatch viability? (The egg mess and the rough handling?)

Thanks,
    Misty
    DesertSkyNM

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Hello,
    That is unfortunate about your broken hatching eggs [​IMG] Yes i would wash off the un-brocken eggs. This will effect viability but not as much as if you left the yolk and other liquids on the eggs. I have bought washed eggs and have had 50% hatch rates. I would contact the seller and explain what happened. Maybe if you pay shipping they will replace them.
    Sending Hatching vibes your way [​IMG]
    Mark

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's actually a tough question with a lot of answers!

I would give them a quick scrub of sorts, with my hands under running lukewarm water. Then I'd let them rest an hour or two and set them. Everyone has different experiences with this. But I'd go with quick rinse and wipe, no soap since shells are porous.

The main thing is to get the goop off or you may have bacterial buildup. This is one hatch you REALLY want to keep your nose to! Good luck, let the seller know packing may have been inadequate.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Yes I forgot no soap lol ! I agree [​IMG]

5. ZuulLanceMaster

ZuulLanceMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    California
    yes. but not too hot and not too cold
    Sorry about those eggs. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

6. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Ok, washed them, dried them and now they are waiting to go in the incubator... Thanks for all the help!

Crossing my fingers....

Misty

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  7. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I had the same problem and got one to hatch out of 6 that made it. Thought I was pretty lucky all in all. The guy I bought them from did send another batch though and that was better got 5 out of 12 that way. I no longer use shipped eggs but hunt down local folks. I've been pretty lucky here in Missouri. We have a NPIP Poultry Yearbook that lists the breeds that folks have. Helps a LOT in finding breeds.

Dave

8. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Has anybody thought about the disinfectant wipes for this? They clean and don't contaminate. Just a thought.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wash but I doubt theyll hatch. So sorry [​IMG] Where did you order them from?

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They should still hatch, just be careful when washing them. Don't rub them and make sure to use warm water. Rinse the egg off and wipe it gently, if the 'goo' is stuck on them wrap them in a damp paper towel for a while until it comes off easily. Put them in the incubator as soon as you are done patting them dry. If the eggs haven't been completely scrambled inside they should be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by