Hatching eggs can you tell Boys from Girls??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Promiselandfarm, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

okay I want to know if one can tell a boy from a girl while still in the egg. There is several people who believe you can tell by the shape of the egg. Has anyone else hear this and how true is it?????? I told my son we need to start a research of our hatchlings to see for ourselves but we get so excited with the new life we forget to remember what the egg was shaped like before we try and sex them.........oh well looking forward to your replys.........Suzette

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

More round eggs are "usually" pullets, while the pointed tip ones are "usually" your cockerels.

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

So the more round the egg the better chance it is a girl? What is the ratio of egg to pullet in the round or roo pointy? Anyone???? Has any one tested this??? Just wondering if we should only be putting the more rounded eggs in? Our girl to boy ratio is pretty good........ more girls than boys:lol:

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    The concensus is that it is a wive's tale and has no truth to it. Though, I am wondering if you compared only the eggs from ONE hen, if there could possibly be a difference. I dunno.... maybe I will try it next year when mine start laying [​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Trying to sex eggs from shape does not work.
    I've hatched just as many pullets from pointy eggs as I have cockerals, and visa-versa.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If you've a talent for divining, you can. [​IMG]

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:If that was the case everything I hatched wouldn't be a cockerel. [​IMG]

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have a hen that always lay a long pointed end egg. That would mean every egg she lays would be a boy. That is just too hard to believe.

9. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I think the sex occurs around day 3 or 4 of incubation. [​IMG] Not for sure but its ringing in the back of my head, it too could be pointed! [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    There is a technique that has worked for me.

1-Look closely at the egg.
    2-If it has spots put it in one pile.
    3-If it is smooth put it in pile 2
    4-Rub each egg with a quarter then flip the coin
    5-Heads it's a hen, Tails it's a roo

This technique has a 50% accuracy on average.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by