HAtching eggs for newbies?

KatieBugg

Songster
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Holts Summit, MO
Morning all. I am curious as to what kind( ie breed) of eggs you used when you where a newbie hatcher. SInce I don't have chickens yet and want to build my flock (large fowl) via hatching, I have to get eggs sent to me. I will probably have my DIY bator done today and then will test i for about a week. My bator is an oak wooden drawer lined with styrofoam also with fan and egg turner, I wanted to do it right from the get go, but it's not gonna be pretty lol. I wanted something sturdy as I have a bad kitty who would have shredded the styrofoam bators!

Hoping to set eggs for the new year!

Start off with some good fertile barnyard eggs from a local, look on craigslist most of the time there are eggs on there for sale.

Quote:
Great idea, I already found an add I will be calling and see if its a go
smile.png

I agree with "Rebel Yel". You may also want to consider hatching duck eggs. In my experiance they are more forgiving and hardy for hatching. Also don't go cheap on your thermometer. Always use more than one. Humidity is equally important.

Just my.02

Good Luck

I found a source for hatching eggs locally with a very good mix!!! I will be getting them sometime after Jan 1!! I have been reading until my eyes about bleed (2 months worth) about the importance of temp/humidity, as well as ventilation, I eneded up getting 2 yep count em 2 of the temp/hydro digital guages at Walmart, I also am using a water heater thermostat as well as a pc fan. I will be running my bator until I get the eggs so I am really familiar with it and to iron out any bugs. May the peep gods be on my side
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom