hatching eggs for the first time in a bator

SoORchick73

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
I have 18 eggs in my bator. Today is day 8 and one of the eggs is well veined but the air cell is 50% of the egg, the long way. It's really dark on the veined side and we weren't sure we saw movement or not (my 8 year old is convinced he did). Is that one a quitter? Aside from the awesome candling post can someone point me to a thread on "bad eggs." LOL Thank you! ps I couldn't get a clear pic or Id have posted, and im trying to only candle when I need to add water.
1f425.png
PS I have a brinsea octagon Eco 20 and the directions say to place the little bars between the eggs so the eggs aren't forced in. They have plenty of wiggle room but aren't turning 360 degrees. Also, at lockdown when I shut off auto turner do I remove thee bars?

Last edited:
I have 18 eggs in my bator. Today is day 8 and one of the eggs is well veined but the air cell is 50% of the egg, the long way. It's really dark on the veined side and we weren't sure we saw movement or not (my 8 year old is convinced he did). Is that one a quitter? Aside from the awesome candling post can someone point me to a thread on "bad eggs." LOL Thank you! ps I couldn't get a clear pic or Id have posted, and im trying to only candle when I need to add water.
1f425.png
PS I have a brinsea octagon Eco 20 and the directions say to place the little bars between the eggs so the eggs aren't forced in. They have plenty of wiggle room but aren't turning 360 degrees. Also, at lockdown when I shut off auto turner do I remove thee bars?

well I'm definitely not experienced, but I have only hatched two sets now. if it's only been 8 days then I believe this is perfectly normal I don't think there is an air sac on the side of the egg it's just clear on that side because it hasn't grown around to fill the egg yet
Candle the big End of the egg you should see the air sac up there.
If the one side is well veined I would say it is still alive and thriving .

Awesome, thanks!!! Does BYC have a book? I wish I could find all commonly asked Q's in a book ;)

Back
Top Bottom