1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching eggs from our own Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Choco Maran, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    We have decided to try an experiment and hatch eggs from our own hens. I have mostly cochins, some blue laced red Wyandottes and some Easter Eggers. Cochins have silver lace and Blue Lace red Wyandotte Roosters with them and the EE have a Dominque Rooster with them. I will be setting them tomorrow night. I took the eggs gathered today and set them aside. We hatched two Blue Bars about a week ago and have wanted to do another hatch since. Will try to post every night but it might be every ever day. Can't wait to see what we get.

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hello fellow New Mexican! Hope you have great luck with your hatch.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good luck!!

4. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Day one eggs are in bator and temp is moving around up to 3 degrees + or -. It was stable before I set the eggs in. I have placed 27 eggs. Humidity is around 10% so I placed a sponge in and wet it. Hopefully this will bring the humidity up to 25%. It is now at 99.7 degrees so I'm going to leave it alone.

This is my four hatch first two was 100% no hatch third was 10% hatch. I'm hoping for an improvement but this eggs are from young hens so I do not expect much.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I had my best hatch, 100% last year from my pullets. They had only been laying 4-6 weeks at the time of collection and the hens themselves were around 7 months old.

6. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    My hens have been laying for about four months now. They started about the middle of November last year. I do not have a great bator so it is all ways a guessing game on it. This is going to be a long 21 days.

7. candaceb

candaceb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Good luck fellow New Mexican, I will be setting my 2ND ever set in about a week I want to hatch some of my "ameracauna"that's what they were called at the feed store we got them at I love their pale blue to Olive colored eggs and the chickens themselves are pretty with their puffy cheeks

8. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Okay here we are at day 11 and eggs are doing great. We candled and had a few dudes but I expected some. Half way more or less. Hatch date is about the 11th of the month.

My first two ever to hatch are about three weeks old and are Cuckoo Blue Bars are doing just great. They are growing like weeds. Just brought four Buff Orpingtons that are about a week younger then the blue bars, placed them in the brooder with uno and duce and everyone are getting along fine. Sorry if this is a little hard to follow but it is 1 in the morning. Could not sleep.

9. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Okay Day 21 has final got here. One EE/Dominque hatched about 4 hours ago and had three pipped. Just had another EE/Dominque hatch. Still have two brown eggs pipping. One is moving the other is not moving at this time. But still have hope for the other two. Have a total of about 18 in the bator, nothing from them yet. Will keep everyone posted. as the day goes on. Can't wait to see how they dry out and fluff out.

Uno and Duce are doing just fine. They are about 6 weeks now I think.

10. Choco Maran

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Okay one brown egg hatched, this give me a total of three hatched so far. Have another green and brown pipping that's a total of four pipping. They are hatching like crazy. I'm so excited. Brown eggs should be cochins won't be sure for a day until I can see if they are feathered footed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by