Hatching eggs from the fridge...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Feafur, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Feafur

Feafur Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Okay. PLEASE tell me that we didn't "kill" our eggs. I have 6 Ameraucana eggs that my husband read somewhere that you needed to put them in the fridge until you were ready to incubate them. We got our incubator ready and my hen laid one last egg, so we added that one and now I was reading that you will kill your eggs if you put them in the fridge. DANG IT. Please tell me it isn't true and that I will have more than one chick!

2. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
  3. Feafur

Mar 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ohhhh...thanks so much! That helps alleviate some of my worries. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. I will post and let you know if we have any successes!

1 person likes this.
  4. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I don't think it will kill them. A couple of years ago, a neighbor gave me 2 dozen eggs to eat. While eating the first dozen I noticed that quite a few of them were fertilized. Sooo after a few days I decided to see if they would hatch I started up my incubator and walla 21 days later I had chicks. I had 7 hatch out of 12 . These eggs were probably washed, then refridgerated for I don't know how long when I got them and I refridgerated them. Not all were stored with the big end up either. I told the guy after they hatched what I had done and he was very surprised since he said they hadn't had a rooster in their pen for two weeks prior to giving me the eggs. I think you will probably get a better hatch rate if they are not refridgerated but I'm sure it didn't kill them all. Also there is a thread here on BYC about people hatching eggs from Trader Joe's. They are all refridgerated eggs from a grocery store!
    Good Luck and try not to stress to much over it.

Also this is when I first saw a turken, never saw one of those before, and thought his feathers/fuzz had stuck to the shell and was pulled off. LOL The rest were americanas that layed the blue/green and brown eggs. The picture looks like white eggs but they were a light blueish green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've hatched several refrigerated eggs and had fairly decent success.

I don't think it's the ideal, but neither are shipped eggs, and people hatch those all the time.

6. Feafur

Mar 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ohhhh....thanks so much you guys! I feel much better now!

7. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I've hatched refrigerated eggs with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by