Hatching eggs got refrigerated by accident

4cchicken

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Alex,OK
So my jubilee orpington and crested cream legbar hatching eggs got mixed up with my mixed flock eggs while I was out of town working, and got put in the fridge for six days while the mix got put in the incubator. When I got home and realized what had happened I sat out the orpington and legbar eggs overnight aND put them in the incubator 4 days after the mixed were set in. Now 4 days later (8 days for mixed] I candles the eggs and all 4 dozen are developing nicely..question is what to do with two dozen eggs with a 4 day later hatch date from the other two dozen?

Staggered hatches really aren't ideal, but they can be done. If turning in the incubator is automatic, shut it off on about day 20 for the older eggs, which should be around day 16 for the younger eggs. Run humidity around 50-55% if you can; this is usually enough to give smooth hatching for you older chicks without drowning the younger ones.

I'm actually very impressed you have four dozen developing with them being in the fridge that long.

Back
Top Bottom