Hatching eggs in a Marek's exposed environment

Marie-in-SD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
I hope you guys can help me make the right decisions here. My little flock (currently 13 hens of all breeds and one rooster) have been exposed to Marek's and are almost certainly carriers (I have lost several chickens in the past few years). The remaining flock was vaccinated when they were newly hatched, and are not showing any symptoms. Naturally, I have not allowed any hatching at my place as I am concerned that the new chicks would immediately catch the virus.
However, my sneaky cochin hid 8 eggs from me and when I candled them upon finding them, they were showing signs of life. I don't have the heart to 'abort' these eggs, so I came up with a plan: I'm waiting on my new incubator, and once it gets here I will take the eggs and try to hatch the babies in the house. The vaccination is on the way, and I've had success with that before. So far, so good - well, in theory...
My only concern is that the shell of the eggs may sneak some infested dandruff into the incubator, and cause problems right away. How can I carefully clean the eggs without damaging them before I place them in the machine?

Thanks so much for your help!

The ONLY difference to me between vaccinated birds or non.. is the vaccinated birds are HIDING symptoms.

Vaccinated birds NOT welcome here EVER... to allow the virus to proliferate undetected.

One gene was identified that creates resistance to MDV and I breed for resistance.

That being said.. I know we all have different goals and perspectives.

Best Marek's resource I have seen...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Good luck! :fl

To each their own, we all have to make the best decisions for our flock, and that's okay. My philosophy is this: I know my birds carry Mareks, and I have lost tons of birds thanks to it. Being that all my remaining birds are undoubtedly carriers anyway, I am not worried about the vaccine 'hiding'their symptoms. I am just grateful that I have happy birds that are not dying a slow and miserable death. Any new unvaccinated bird (and this is just a fact I've experienced) will get sick and die, it's just a matter of time. Vaccinated chicks have not gone down the same path, and I'm very thankful for that. But I want to make sure that these new babies who kind of developed 'by accident' get a fair shot at life, and that won't be possible without extreme caution and the vaccine.
Still, my question is not about the vaccine, that's not optional to me, but about safely cleaning the eggs prior to placing them in the incubator. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom