Hatching eggs in a toaster oven?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loddie Da, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I was google-ing all types of odd things & found this old BYC post:

Do you think it's worth a try?
    I mean I've hatched eggs in my bra, so...??

Give me your thoughts please or has anyone else tried this, if so how did it work out?

I will have to go out & buy one, so will look for one with a 100 degree setting, plus if it dose not work I can always just make dinner in it [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You can hatch in anything that will maintain temp... Ive used a fridge with a hair dryer in it for 2 years.

3. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    LOL hatching eggs in your bra? I suppose it would work!

4. rebelcowboysnb

@[email protected] :

the human body hatch has been done to extremes on this site...​

5. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    @[email protected] :

Seriously???​

6. Loddie Da

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Quote:the human body hatch has been done to extremes on this site...

Yeah, I remeber a guy using his....um, yeah....Who was that that did it again?

As long as you don't let your body oils get on the eggs & wear warm enough clothing but still with out sweating & DON'T go jogging, The eggs can hatch in a bra, but you have to keep them in 23 hours & 45+ mins. a day for 22-23 days (shower = 15 mins. & lower body temp = longer incubation time) sleeping on your side can help keep them warm at night when body temp drops & the last 3 days I staid in bed or was on the couch, & for all that work both"Boo & Bee" didn't live very long, witch was my mistake. I don't think it's for the faint of heart to do.

If anyone wants to try a body hatch please remeber to take a shower daily, It's what keeps the humidity up, also the egg needs to be close to your body with out touching skin & yet you can't be wearing tight clothing, one nice fitting shirt or um... pants & tons of lose layers are the way to go. You need the eggs to be able to breath, so you want enough air-flow but at the same time still keep the heat in.

Anyway it's been a few years since i'v done that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the toaster oven, Do you think it's worth it?
    or do I just like to make hatching harder then it needs to be [​IMG]

Does the price of a toaster oven compared to the hatch rate of a incubator equal out to: Let's give it a go?

7. rebelcowboysnb

Don't remember who the guy was, just know it wasn't me. [​IMG]

A group of girls on here get together an do it almost every year.

8. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:I think I'd feel terrible if they didn't hatch. Especially since my current supply of eggs is all shipped.

9. Loddie Da

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    Quote:Darn, I'v been out of the loop for to long...back when I did it I was the only BYC'er who did.
    that was before we got the new forum & owner ect. Speaking of which dose anyone know if CC (ChickChair) is still around?
    Lately I'v been like, "Where are all the people I used to know?"

But hey next time the girls do it, they can so count me in! [​IMG]

There's nothing like it...Dare I say it I felt more like a Mother-to-be with the eggs then when I was pregnant (& it was a planned pregnancy to, RIP angel babies). Maybe because the eggs needed more care & were always on my mind...I mean I never had to turn my embryos or worry about how warm they were when I was in the shower.

I think I am going to try the toaster oven thing out, now all I have to do is find one that has a 100 degree setting & order me some eggs.

10. rebelcowboysnb

I think this is the 4th forum with the backyardchickens name. At least one of the others is still going. Some of the old people may be there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by