Hatching eggs in cold chicken coop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bonnie 39, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Bonnie 39

Bonnie 39 New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    I need help soon. A neighbor donated possibly fertile eggs and we put them under our brooding hen. Today is the day they are to hatch... (maybe). I just went out and checked on her and lifted her enough to see her eggs. There is holes in at least two.. (i quickly put her down on them)... There are 7 eggs there. THEN.... I heard or believe I did... peeping real quietly... It stopped before I could determine if was just 'wishing' or hearing.... pretty sure tho that I did. This is Michigan.... today is a very cold day... the nest she's in is raised. Will she stay on them when they hatch ... do I remove them and get a light on them... and can they be in the coop, or should they come in the house. Seems they should stay with her but not sure... HELP.... what should I prepare for????

2. Sparky74

Sparky74 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2016
    Cowra, NSW, Australia
    I've not had a huge amount of experience but I've discovered that letting a hen raise chicks is MUCH easier than brooding them under a heat lamp. She should look after them and keep them warm.

Chicks raised outdoors tend to feather quicker and seem stronger and I can do without all that mess inside the house. Chicks seem to create a lot of fine dust that gets everywhere.

3. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    The hen will take care of them and keep them warm. The peeping you heard may have been coming from inside an egg, as they can peep once they break through the air cell! You mentioned the nest she is in is raised... just make sure that the chicks can't fall out of it, because if they do and it's cold they won't last long.

Good luck and keep us updated!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How high is the nest? That would be my main concern. The momma will keep them warm and take care of them, but if they are raised and one falls out, it'll probably freeze to death. I would make sure that she is either in a brooding pen or at least on a ground floor nest. Other than that. Just keep on eye on her make sure she's doing the job. Sometimes, mommas are not good mommas, but the majority of the time, they know exactly what they are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by