Hatching Eggs-- Membrane bleeding???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CaptivatingCarina, Feb 28, 2012.

1. CaptivatingCarina

CaptivatingCarina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I have 3 eggs hatching in my incubator. This is my first hatch. One of them pipped a small hole near the small end of the egg. I (stupidly) tried to help by making a small hole in the other end of the egg, but a large chunk of the shell came off and the membrane broke and is bleeding a little bit. What can I do to help my chick? Should I just leave it? Is it OK? I feel just terrible!!

2. CaptivatingCarina

CaptivatingCarina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Hey, thanks for taking a moment to reply. Very thoughtful of you.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry, I missed this earlier.

Let the baby be, it should still continue to zip. If not, you clearly have the gumption to help. ANd you have discovered the key to helping : you stop when you see blood veins. ANd that you did. Patience is the ket. THe chick needs to finish it's development and that includes making all the blood vessels disappear.

While you are waiting can you find the thread on helping; or look for Pete 55 's thread. It's usually on this page or the next. Gives a bit more detail on opening the shell to help. If I can find it I'll add it onto this post.

You are doing fine. We all learn by doing. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I've had multiple chicks pip on the small pointy end and they hatched out just fine on they're own [​IMG]

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by