1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Hatching eggs of any breed within an hour of Albany, NY?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahandbray, Jan 26, 2015.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    (If this isn't the right forum, I apologize!)
    I am having the toughest time finding fertile eggs within a reasonable drive of my house just south of Albany, NY. Have read horror stories of shipped eggs and really don't want to pay a fortune if there are some cool breeds locally. My own eggs hatched at a 97% rate in my HovaBator on my test run and I've set another batch, but would really like some cool breeds like Cream Legbars or Silver Laced Wyandottes or big, fluffy English Orps.
    Or even just Red or Black Sexlinks.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Have tried Craigslist and local Facebook Swap sites.
    Thanks!!!
    Sarah

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you can wait till spring, I'll have CCLs :) Also have buff orps, but not English. Will also have EEs and Naked Necks. Later in the spring I should also have silkies and naked neck bantams.

3. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I'm two counties over, and have had great luck with shipped eggs, but there is a window when fertility is at its' best. April 1 through August 1 will give you the best hatch rates. I don't have any extra eggs at the moment, with only one hen sitting, but I will have some in a few months when the weather is nicer and my ladies outside start laying.
    Check the Farm and Garden section of the Albany Craigslist: I know there are people hatching out chickens in the area, as I've seen several adds for day old chicks lately, and don't be afraid of going the shipping route later in the year. I have gotten several batches of eggs off of eBay, and have gotten good results - just let shipped eggs sit for 24 - 48 hours before you pop them in the incubator - it makes a big difference in the hatch rate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by