Hatching eggs question!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Granjaguate, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Granjaguate

Granjaguate Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    Guatemala
    my eggs have been moving live crazy for 2 days now! Today is day 21 and are still moving like crazy . Is that normal?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes your eggs are normal!! The chicks move into position for hatching then they have to do their internal pip into the airsac and then they have to do their external pip. During this time the chick is working very hard and therefore causing the egg to move. If the eggs stop moveing don't panic Inbetween all these phases the chick needs to rest too and finish absorbing their yolk sacs. Hatching can take many hours from the external pip. Just keep your humidity up.

Best of luck to you.

3. Granjaguate

Nov 17, 2014
    Guatemala
    Still waiting! Should I start to worry?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No, they're really working hard to break through their shells. Let them work, it can take a while. And, after they pip, it'll seem like it takes them forever to zip and get out of the egg.

If your temperature and humidity haven't been wonky, there's no need to worry.

Good luck!

5. Granjaguate

Nov 17, 2014
    Guatemala
    The temp has not moved once since they eggs started. The only thing is it's the Brinsea mini and it doesn't have a humidity gauge. But I just followed the directions. I know the humidity has been a little higher the past 5 days...

6. ridenhourj

ridenhourj New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Albemarle nc
    I have a question I have several eggs in the incubator 3 are at day 23 nothing and just discovered one that's at day 20 is chirping in the shell is the ones at day 23 a lost cause

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

They may not be a lost cause, 21 days is just a guide line. I like to leave mine till day 25 just incase. If it's not going to affect your humidity in the incubator you could candle and tap your day23 eggs to see if they are still alive or if they have internally pipped into the air sac. Best of luck to you.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You also have to consider how you are counting your days. Are you counting the day you set the eggs as day one or are you waiting untill 24 hours to count? This is going to mean the difference of being on day 20 or 21.
    If your average temp was a little off on the low side, it can delay the hatch a bit. I have a three and a half month roo that was born (the only surviving hatcher) on day 24. My thermometer was off and my temp was much lower than it should have been.

9. ridenhourj

ridenhourj New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Albemarle nc
    [​IMG] this little fellow is 23 days his been like this since this morning his chirping and poking his beak out not sure when is a good time to help

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If he just pipped this morning you've got plenty of time and it looks like he's made pretty good progress. He has kind pipped in the middle so I would keep an eye on him and I personally would give it 24 hours then if he hasn't gotten any farther, I would try to see what position he's in as it's possible he's malpositioned as his pip is. I'm betting that you see him zip himself though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by