Hatching Eggs San Francisco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2ndbritchick, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 2ndbritchick

2ndbritchick New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    I set off 24 eggs in my sons 3rd grade class. 14 which I bought online from a breeder and I topped it up to 24 with fertile eggs from Trader Joes. I was hoping we would get about 1/4 sucess but so far only 3 eggs look like they are developing, would you believe it they are the Trader Joes ones. I dont hold out much have for them making it through. The kids are going to be disapointed if we don't end up with a few chicks. Does any one in the SF area have any fertile eggs I can buy or can send me in the direction of a breader, I dont want to buy online again. We are in the East Bay but happy to travel to San Fran.

Thanks Donna

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

How long have you been incubating them? I've been told you can't see much before a week and some late bloomers even later.

You can look for people in your area in the Where am I? Where are you! section? But I think you should maybe complete this hatch before getting more eggs? Staggered hatches in the same incubator can be done, but it's tricky when you have to lockdown one set and keep the required humidity etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2ndbritchick

2ndbritchick New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I looked again at the eggs with the candler in the dark. We have far more sucess than I first thought. Amazingly its the Trader Joes fertile eggs that are doing the best. Hope they are going to be OK I only bought them to bulk it out so each child got an egg.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I hope it works out well for you. Hatching eggs is a wonderful learning experience for kids! I wish our schools did things like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by