Hatching eggs several days apart?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amcconnell, May 11, 2009.

1. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I have a broody hen on 8 eggs. The first is due to hatch on the 19th. This is her first hatch so when she went broody I watched for several days to see if she was serious. When I saw she was....I put some more eggs under her.

After candling the eggs I can see a noticible difference in the older eggs that are several days older than the later eggs placed under her. All of them have movement so we are good there.

My question is this....I'm assuming they will hatch at different days so is this a good thing.....bad thing....will I risk my hen coming off once the first ones hatch and leave the other eggs and if so what can I do to prevent this??? Any suggestions?

2. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I JUST HAD 2 HENS THAT HATCHED ONE CHICK AND GOT OFF THE NEST. HAPPEN TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE SITTING AND GAVE HER THE EGGS,

3. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I have 7 hens but this is the only one setting...

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Having similar issues . I went out and bought an incubator just in case. The mama hen left the eggs to be with the new chicks. I took the rest and popped them in the incubator. One hatched 2 days later and I snuck it in with the mom and other chicks and she's fine. I have 2 more hatching today, but I think it's too late to add to the other chicks (1 week) so they'll have to stay inside with me. I got lucky though- I'd hate to have a lonely chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by