hatching eggs so nervous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shaf9, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Shaf9

Shaf9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    Bought some black copper maran eggs off ebay and currently in lockdown with them. Wasn't able to candle them so not sure if any are fertile or not. Did some dry incubation pre lockdown and now my humidity is between 75-80%. Not expecting good results because of the nature of shipped eggs but fingers still crossed [​IMG]. Last time only hatched 3 eggs out of 20+ but those were from my own flock [​IMG]

Will keep you guys updated on results.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Hope you have a good hatch! Just as a note, I usually like to have my humidity between 60- 75%--I've drowned a lot of chicks in the egg with too high humidity; and of course remember to avoid opening the incubator! Yes, please keep us updated!

3. Shaf9

Shaf9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    well i filled up 4/6 water channels and that's giving me 80% humidity right now which is odd. The humidity on the front face of the incubator is off so its not really dependable. Using a separate hygrometer which i calibrated with the salt water test.

4. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Some people like to use higher humidity--it's really your choice--what works best for you. I have found lower hatching humidity gives me better results. Also, keep in mind that as the chicks hatch, they will add to the humidity of the incubator.

5. Shaf9

Shaf9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    was looking to maintain the 65-70% humidity also but i messed up. This is my second time hatching so still learning. I mean i could dump the water but its in lockdown and thats not a good idea. I guess next time ill fill a channel one at a time and go from there.

6. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Hatching is a big learning curve! You learn something new each time. Yes, maybe that would be a good idea next time. Also, I use wet rags in my incubator for humidity--they're easy to take out if the humidity gets too high, or add more if it gets too low. You can open all the vents on your incubator, maybe that'll help dry it out a little. And if not, don't worry. Many people actually recommend hatching with 85% humidity.

7. Shaf9

Shaf9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    Funny you mention about adding wet rags. The first time i added a bowl of warm water and removed it to later fill the water channels instead. Bad idea. haha.
    I guess next time i'll add a wet sponge or a few to increase humidity. do you keep the eggs fairly close in the incubator? i seen some people put them in separate cookie paper covers

8. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I usually have the eggs touching each other in the incubator. I like to think that they can somehow communicate to each other! Haha--that's not scientifically proven. Some people cut the tops off egg cartons, and put several in there, so they don't roll around the incubator as much. Are you using one of those foam incubators? (like a little giant, or a hovabator)

9. Shaf9

Shaf9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2015
    yes i'm using the little giant with the fan built in.

10. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    That is what I use. You said you did dry incubation--good, that is the method by which I and others have gotten the most success. Please do keep us updated with the progress of your chicks! I just finished up a 70% success hatch yesterday (not as high a percentage as I would've liked, but I had some genetic issues in my flock that made some of them pip the wrong end of the egg, and drown)
    What temperature have you kept the incubator at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by