Hatching eggs some are cracked

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ncgrad00, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Salem
    I am hatching eggs. It is day 20 and I have 7 chicks out and moving around. I have another 10 eggs with cracks in them but nothing has come out yet. They have been cracked since day 19 when I took out the turner. How long do I wait for the chicks to come out on their own. I am worried about them being suck in the egg and not being able to get out. I have the temp at 99.5 and the humidity at 75 to 80 percent. I have to work all day tomorrow and want to make sure the ones with cracks will be ok until I get home or should I help the process along to make sure the chicks are not suck in the egg. Let me know your thoughts.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello NC-

Incubating can be so much fun, but also disappointing. I know it's hard, but Ma Nature has her reasons for some not to hatch....typically, if you try to help a chick along, things go bad.....or if you do have some success, you will often times get an unhealthy chick.

Good luck no matter what you decide, but I wouldn't do anything.......

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I should say that it does take patience.....ahh, so much patience, and you may be surprised to come home and find more fluffy babies running around!

4. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Cool, I am on same day as you but not as lucky. 5 cracked now. I want to be in your shoes. CONGRAT'S

DIGGER

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by