Hatching eggs? To wash or not to wash?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Oct 29, 2009.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    What are everyone's opinions on this? I have people saying NEVER wash and people saying wash ALL hatching eggs.

The always wash people say 1 TB bleach to one gallon of lukewarm water, work fast soaking a few at a time, gently wiping away any dirt and watch for floaters (rotten eggs), then set on an egg rack to dry before setting.

Then there are the "wipe only with a towel/paper towel" folks and some of the university ag. sites I've seen say use fine grit sand paper on dirty spots, no washing...arrrgh~LOL

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yeah, I would be interested in hearing the answer to this one, too. [​IMG]

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

better not to wash them since water can be a very good way to transfer bacteria and germs into egg and cause blood ring.

especially with duck egg, no need to wash, they have been earning ability to be a dirty and muddy poultry since they were born. [​IMG]

if mud/dirt persist, perhaps just like you said, use sand paper, don't rub it too hard.

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm with Mulia24 on this one. The broody hen doesn't wash her eggs and they seem to hatch just fine usually. It's not nice to criticize Mother Nature. [​IMG]

5. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:It's also not nice to have oozing/exploding eggs in the incubator [​IMG] Hens are smart enough to push out bad eggs [​IMG]

I bought a large group of eggs a few months ago and had a LOT of oozers that would have exploded if left...nastiness! The smell was so bad (you could smell it BEFORE you got in the house) I had to pull ALL eggs out in the middle of incubation for 15-20 minutes and disinfect the entire incubator, trays and all...not great on the eggs:/

I've had several people tell me that washing would help prevent that and floaters would show bad eggs before they were set...?? Help! [​IMG]

6. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    My first batch of eggs I ever hatched were washed, some were out of the refrigerator and some were even frozen and wiped clean using the snow on the ground at the time. I incubated 42 eggs and hatched them all. I don`t recommend washing or not washing, I`m just saying. lol
    Here`s my original post on the subject:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47241

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have never had an oozing egg from my own flock. I purchased hatching egg several years ago from someone and got a couple oozers.

With that said, I sometimes spot wash with a warm paper towel to get off bigger specks of dirt/poo. Also, I spray the eggs to be set with oxine.

I would like to know if anyone here has experienced oozers with their own flock? Because I am leaning on the side of that "if it oozes it is probably pretty old". But, I could be wrong.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    pips&peeps :

I have never had an oozing egg from my own flock. I purchased hatching egg several years ago from someone and got a couple oozers.

With that said, I sometimes spot wash with a warm paper towel to get off bigger specks of dirt/poo. Also, I spray the eggs to be set with oxine.

I would like to know if anyone here has experienced oozers with their own flock? Because I am leaning on the side of that "if it oozes it is probably pretty old". But, I could be wrong.

I've never had oozers with my own floak and I've set eggs up to 2 weeks old.

Can you tell me more about the Oxine? What is it and how is it used? Thanks so much!​

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:I have to admit I've only used outside incubators with two legs and covered with feathers. Your situation does put a different slant on things! [​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by