Hatching eggs under a heat lamp

girtengirl

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Kentucky
Question for all of my well experienced BYC friends. I have a hen that just hatched her first clutch of eggs. She began with about 25 eggs, I know way to many and some were deposited after she began sitting. OK so today I moved her and the 4 hatchlings thus far to the maternity ward. I brought in half of the remaining eggs because I have lost 4 chicks due to being squashed when she turned her eggs. I left her with the remaining eggs with out checking if they were viable or not. She is an excellent mother so far. Teaching them to eat and drink, keeping them warm just absolutely great. The remaining eggs I brought into the house put them in a crate in a straw nest and got the heat lamp on them with water for humidity. I turn them regularly. I have had friends who have successfully hatched eggs this way. My question is: should any of the eggs that I have inside hatch will i be able to introduce those chicks back to momma hen to raise?

Don't turn them any more. at about day 18, mamma goes into lock down mode; doesn't get up at all for the last three days, and doesn't turns them any more so the chicks can get their heads at the right end.
You should be able to put them with the broody. As long as they are similar in color to the other chicks. Chickens can't count.

That would be really cool if you did. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom