1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching eggs under a hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ginny, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ginny

Ginny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    I put 10 fairly large eggs under a year old buff orpington who is broody last evening. Everything was fine this morning. I had to be away until this afternoon. Checked her and found her on another nest. The eggs under her were good and warm, the eggs on the nest she was on previously were not cold, but not warm either. Shall I throw out those eggs and start over or take a chance she was not off them too long and continue. This hen hatched out six eggs last fall just fine, but I watched her closely.
    Thanks

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would put her on the nest with the 10 eggs and candle at a week and see if they are develping. I think they will be good. Block all otherr nest and that wouldn't happen again.

3. Ginny

Ginny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    I imagine what happened is she got off to eat and another hen took the nest. She in turn took the nest beside it. That happened last time, but I watched her closely and managed the nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by