1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching eggs under broody hens. plz help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ds1987, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ds1987

ds1987 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    hi i have 2 broody hens that has been laying on 9 eggs and they are suppose to be due today and then day after day. i dont really know what to do just let them all stay in the chicken tractor or take them away from there mom and put them in the garage and take care of them or put mom and chicks all in the garage and take care of them. this will be my first hatch and im very nervous. please help

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

If there are other chickens in your chicken tractor you need to separate the broody hen from the others or risk getting the newly hatched chicks pecked on. You can put the broody hens in the garage after the chicks have hatched and are walking around in the tractor. If this doesn't work and the broody hens rejects the chicks well then, you're their new mom.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. ds1987

Jun 20, 2013
    i will move the other chickens into another pen, they are in a box laying on the egss can the chicks get out or will get hurt, can they go down the ladder to the ground

4. Veer67

If the box is off the ground the chicks might fall out and get hurt. A baby chicks legs are a bit "wobbly" at first so a ladder won't be much of use for them. Make sure the chicks don't get out because usually the hen won't get off of her nest until all the chicks have hatched. Good luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

5. ds1987

Jun 20, 2013
    Ok should I get hens n eggs now n put in garage

6. Veer67

Well moving the hen and eggs might disturb her and seeing that she is not in a familiar place, she could abandon the eggs (that happened to me once). For now just keep them where they are and make sure no baby chicks fall out, when they are all hatched out try moving them.

7. ds1987

Jun 20, 2013
    Thanks

8. ds1987

Jun 20, 2013
    When does the chicks need to eat

9. Veer67

About on the second and third day.