1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching eggs - upon delivery...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluedawg, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    As long as I have the incubator heated and ready to go can I put the eggs right in it upon delivery? How come the eggs are OK when not kept in the incubator through the mail?
    Thanks,
    -M

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    You really should let them sit to adjust to room temperature so they don't sweat from the temp change. Some people do overnight but 6-8 is recommended from what I read. They do ok during shipping because they haven't begun growing yet. They don't start until they reach the temp required. Good luck, I love incubating [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Eggs get shaken around pretty good when they are shipped. It's always best to let them rest, adjust to your room temps, breathe and sit big end up for a few hours ( 6 to 12 or longer) in an egg carton to help the air sacs get stable again. my thoughts

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They should also rest to let their insides settle a bit. Shipping is hard on eggs, and sometimes their air sacs will get dislocated. Resting them can give them time to settle back where they are supposed to be.

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, your supposed to let them set for a little while to settle the eggs, also so the temp. changes are so big.

What kind of eggs did you get shipped to you?

I know you must be eggcited [​IMG]

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    You should let them rest in an egg carton large end up to let them settle before putting them in the 'bator. I usually get mine from the PO early in the AM, like 8 am, and I have let them rest from 9 am until 9pm and then put them in the 'bator.

Good luck!!

7. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Hey guys - Thanks! It is true I am very eggcited [​IMG] even though I have no eggs on the way [​IMG] I am looking forward to hatching and starting a small flock of wheaton marans but several sources have no eggs yet. I just bid on some on Ebay but did not get them - they went too high. I wonder if I should wait until spring anyway. I live in Westchester County, NY. So If I hatch eggs in the Fall I will probably have them inside for longer than I would if I hatched them in the spring. Any thoughts on this?

Shelley, Thanks for sharing pics!!! Gerty is gorgeous [​IMG]

-M

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Look for "Bev's Marans" on a search and go look at her chickens...She has the Wheaten variety...See if you can get on her shipping list. I also am in love with the wheatens, I think they're prettier than the CB Marans.

9. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks, Yes... I am on Bev's list.
    -M

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Thanks so much bluedawg! I still haven't been able to figure out what kind she is! She's like a birchen game/silkie mix I think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by