Hatching eggs when chickens are on Duramycin-10. Has anyone been successful?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chopmayer, Oct 25, 2013.

1. chopmayer

chopmayer New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Upstate New York
    Has anyone had success hatching eggs if the chickens have been on Duramycin-10? Mine have been on the antibiotic for 6 days but my favorite chicken died last night and while dying she laid her last egg and I'd like to try and hatch it.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've only had one hen set on eggs, there wernt any meds involved. There shouldnt be any problems with eggs hatching after using duramycin. However, it depends what disease was being treated. Some diseases cause eggs not to embryonate. Ones that hatch may carry the whatever disease the hen had...it just depends what disease you were treating for. Perhaps a necropsy on your hen by the state or university lab will determine what caused your hen to die...whether it be disease or something else, then you'll have a good idea if the egg will hatch or not....of course it has to be fertilized in order to hatch. Good luck.

3. chopmayer

chopmayer New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Upstate New York
    Thanks for the info. The hens are all still on the Duramycin-10 for URIs. I was afraid of the newborn chicks (if they hatch in the incubator) being born with URIs since mommas all have it. But this one that died was my favorite and she just coincidentally laid an egg when she died. I am fairly sure her URI became pneumonia causing her death. She always laid white eggs but this final egg at death was brown!!! Kind of odd isn't it? She was a pure white leghorn mix. I took this as a sign to try and get her egg to hatch since I never kept any of her other babies. I was reading that the Duramycin-10 could cause chick deformities though so I just wondered if anyone hatched happy normal chicks while hens were on medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by