Hatching eggs while in egg cartons? Anyone done it?

Sydneylou

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Goshen, Ohio
I've heard that you can hatch your eggs in an egg carton, big side up when you stop turning them. This is suppose to stop newly hatched chicks from rolling the not yet hatched eggs around. I was just wondering if there are any drawbacks and if there are any modifications that need to be done to the cartons. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

Ive done it. No modifications to the carton. However if you have a chick that decides to pip in the middle of the egg or somewhere weird, it won't be able to come out. Mine all had a hard time coming out when i used a carton. I think the rolling motion of the eggs when they are free to move helps the chicks get out. Try it though.

I think you're right about them rolling around to help them get out. I was thinking of maybe putting up some sort of divider inside the incubator and putting the hatchlings on one side until they're dry enough to go into the brooder. Thank you for your input,I appreciate it.
Quote:
Ive done it. No modifications to the carton. However if you have a chick that decides to pip in the middle of the egg or somewhere weird, it won't be able to come out. Mine all had a hard time coming out when i used a carton. I think the rolling motion of the eggs when they are free to move helps the chicks get out. Try it though.

Do a search on hatching in egg cartons. I use them. I cut the top off. I poke holes in the bottom. I also tilt them up against the side of incubator.

Last edited:
I like the cartons because the chicks don't play chicken soccer with the eggs. All of mine have done well in the cartons.

I have hatched ducks several times in the carton. I cut the sides down and cut the bottoms out, so mostly I have a frame to put them in. It works great. It keeps the incubator much neater without the empty egg shells on the bottom.

The main advantage to hatching in cartons is holding the egg up right. Chick death just before or during hatching, is usually due to drowning or suffocation. With the egg in a upright position, the chicks head is now more likely to be surrounded by air instead of water. Notice every newly hatched chick is wet? Hatching in cartons or even unplugged egg turners, is the norm among the game bird breeders I know. Good luck with your hatch...

Back
Top Bottom