HATCHING EGGS WITH A BROKEN/FLOATING AIR CELL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nchls school, Feb 11, 2017.

1. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I'm expecting a shipment of turkey eggs next week. Each time I have eggs shipped some always come with a broken/displaced air cell. Has anyone had any luck hatching eggs with this problem? And, if so, how did you do it? I have never had any with air cell problems hatch under broody hens; how about incubators? This is the first time getting turkey eggs and I'm not even sure they can be candled to identify those with broken air cells. Just want to be prepared.

@WVduckchick it will turn blue.......

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I think WVduckchick knows about Turkey eggs if I am correct???

I can not tag her from this ipad....

Type this in on your reply and she will get tagged to this thread....
    @WVduckchick it will turn blue......

Cheers!

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Haven't done turkeys, but if it were a chicken egg, this sometimes happens with shipped eggs, set the eggs in a carton so that the large end is up for 24-36 hours and hopefully the air cell can repair itself. When you put the eggs in the incubator, position the air cell up and do not turn for the first two or three days, then turn as usual. Keep them in an upright position in the incubator.
    Sometimes the air cell will repair itself or if there are two, one is big enough to act as the primary for the baby.
    If someone knows more about turkeys perhaps they can tell you if you should be doing something different but this is the standard practice for chicken eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Thank you.

5. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by