1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hatching eggs with a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerCarl, Feb 1, 2009.

1. FarmerCarl

FarmerCarl In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    West Michigan
    That's not a crazy idea is it? I'm thinking about trying to hatch eggs this summer so I don't have to rely on buying new chicks every year. Here's my idea. Please tell me what you think or if you think there is a better way to accomplish my goal.

I have laying hens now and will add more this spring. I prefer not to have a rooster around because I'm selling eggs to family and hopefully a few friends later on. Don't want fertilized eggs going to my customers. So I had the idea that if I could buy or raise a hen to hatch eggs for me that would work best.

I thought I would purchase hatching eggs and stick them under the hen. Is that a crazy idea or would that work?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Lots of people do that. They keep a Cochin or Silkeys.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Songster

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    What your doing will work if the eggs are fertile, although you may get better results with an incubator.

4. ghulst

ghulst Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    That would work if you have a source of good hatching eggs. One other concern is getting broodies when you want them . I Hatch all my show birds under broodies like I did when i was a kid.

5. If you're looking to hatch a smaller number of eggs, go ahead. I don't have a brooder and though I've only hatched two eggs before, I used my broody. All I needed to do was provide her with food and water and keep her away from the others. 20 days later, I had two beautiful babies.

Not a crazy idea. In fact, it keeps the hatch-a-halics in line. [​IMG]

6. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    A good broody hen will beat an incubator hands down as long as she only has as many eggs as she can comfortably cover and is provided with a good nest. We use game hens, they have excellent broody instincts and are extremely protective caring mothers.

7. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    Quote:[​IMG] Unless you happen to have 80 game hens just waiting for an excuse to go broody [​IMG] [​IMG] then your addiction can still be a problem!

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Songster

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Thats what I did last May I bought 6 mutt eggs from someone local(looked on KIJIJI classifieds) I wanted green egg layers ...I did this when my Banty went broody and she did all the rest....5 out of the 6 hatched...3 survived...two were hawk lunch....so out of the three hens that she hatched out ...two lay green eggs and one lays a cream egg....plan on doing it again this spring...I have found a local breeder .[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:[​IMG] Unless you happen to have 80 game hens just waiting for an excuse to go broody [​IMG] [​IMG] then your addiction can still be a problem!

80 game hens?? [​IMG] Checking the yard.......... Yep, about that. [​IMG]

10. Quote:[​IMG] Unless you happen to have 80 game hens just waiting for an excuse to go broody [​IMG] [​IMG] then your addiction can still be a problem!

Quite frankly, I don't know anyone with that many hens, needless to say that many broody hens. A little flaw in my plan, but you know it helps more. The first step is always admitting you have a problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by