Hatching eggs with a broody in a populated coop??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by derekmman, Nov 11, 2013.

1. derekmman

derekmman New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Millington, TN
    I have got some questions and couldn't find easily the answers in the forum.
    I have a broody hen that has been sitting now for two weeks and tonight we went out to see if any are growing. The two eggs out of probably around 15 had very noticeable veining and in one I swear I saw a beck. Once we saw that we left the rest alone since it was upsetting her.
    My question is do I need to leave her be and hope for the best for the chicks that none of the other 6 hens or our rooster kill them?
    Also, I know when she first started sitting there were only about 7 eggs and like I said there are around 15 or so now. A couple of the other hens would lay in the same box and she would just put them under her. With that is it possible that once the orginals start hatching she abandon the rest that are still in progress.
    I am just looking for the easiest way to go about this that will be best for the broody, so to be chicks, and the rest of the flock.
    Plus also the weather is going to start turning cold at night this week.

Any direction would be great since this will be the first chicks from our chickens.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. frg34

frg34 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Most people will mark the eggs that the hen is sitting on so other laid in the box can be removed. The hen will typically abandon the non-hatched a day or two after her chicks hatch. I would just leave her be: she can protect her chicks and then you don't have to worry about integrating them later.

3. derekmman

derekmman New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Millington, TN
    Makes since. I had every intention of marking the orginal eggs but kept forgetting or she would try to fight me everytime so I just left them be so we didn't damage any. The only thing I am worried about leaving them in the population is that when the hen leads them out them not being able to get back in the coop or worse the dogs seeing something small like a chick and going after it. The dogs know what happens when they go after the chickens but I have no idea what would happen with the chicks when we are not home. Another option I read in one of the other threads was just separating them within the coop. My nesting boxes are made with removeable dividers, and giving them three of the four nesting boxes, with the front of the boxes just having chicken wire on it at least for a bit that way I can put a lamp in there since it is strarting to get cold and it will also make it able to get them on starter feed. And then maybe after a bit take the momma out? And leave them in there until they about fully feathered?

Here are some pictures of the coop ramp and ledge they would have to get over and also the nesting boxes and could separate them in. Each box is 18" wide, 16" tall, and i think 18" deep, would that be enough room for chicks and momma? IF this is a good idea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by