Hatching eggs with gunk from exploded egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sevart, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Sevart

Sevart Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    I had just discovered that there were two eggs in my incubator that were stuck to the automatic egg turner due to one of the eggs exploding. I already discarded those two. In addition to those two particular eggs, six of the nearby eggs ended up with some of the egg goo (mostly dry by now) on them, not an awful lot, mostly some strings of splatter around the top and/or sides of the eggs and some of them have some near the bottom where they sit in the turner.

I bleached and rinsed the incubator and egg turner and placed the eggs that did not get hit with egg shrapnel back inside the incubator. My question is, would it be okay to place those six eggs back inside the incubator? I scratched off what I could of the dried gunk with my fingernail. Is this acceptable or am I risking contamination of my other eggs if I place them back in there? The eggs in question have been in there for a week and after candling them, still appear to be viable.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! It would not hurt the embryos if you carefully wash the remaining gunk off under warm running water. I had to do that once when a broody accidentally broke an egg and got the contents ALL over the remaining eggs. The eggs got washed and dried quickly and put back under the hen (with clean bedding of course) and hatched fine and on time.

In a warm, humid environment like an incubator I wouldn't risk having gunk around, personally.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. Sevart

Sevart Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Thanks for the reply, I had put the eggs back in there on the opposite end of the incubator from the other eggs after taking as much as I could off.I haven't tried washing them yet, by the time I discovered what had happened, the gunk on the six eggs was already dry, so at this point, water may not work anyway.There's not much of the stuff on these eggs, but I didn't know if it would still cause problems or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by