hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mummie, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mummie

mummie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I have some silkie eggs in an incubator. I marked them with the dates they were laid. 9/8, 9/13, and 9/16. I thought the one from 9/8 should have hatched on 9/29. It did not hatch yet. I did the float test today and it passed with about 10% floating. Does the 21 start from the day the egg is laid or the day you first see the veins start to develope? How long should I wait?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Day one starts 24 hours after incubation is started. If you set the eggs on September 8th then the expected hatch day would be September 29th. The float test is only accurate if they float AND wiggle independently. Any egg with a decent air cell should float wether or not there is a viable chick in it. After day 22 of incubation I would candle and if there is no sign of an internal pip or movement/life I would tap into the air cell to double check and proceed to eggtopsies to try to reveal possibilities as to what might have gone wrong.

3. mummie

mummie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I checked the eggs again. There was no movement. I opened the eggs. The one from 9/8 looked fully developed with full feather coverage. Just small. But I am new at this. I have never seen a newly hatched silkie. Thank you for your help. I don't know what happened to them, but I will try again in spring.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sorry to hear about that. Good luck in the spring!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by